Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Nighttime

I woke up with jetlag - on our sixth night here. Pan Pan sometimes
cries in her sleep and we replace her blanket or adjust her in her
crib or change her diaper. Her willingness to do this gives me the
impression that the caretakers in her orhanage were more attentive
than I was expecting. But I won't read too much into the first three
nights.

She sleeps horizontally at the end of the crib, wedged from corner to
corner. (We think she likes to have something to hold onto, but this
crib has mesh sides instead of rails. The hotel also offered another
crib with rails, but they were separated by about six inches so looked
rather dangerous.) But perhaps to your surprise she is sleeping more
than I am.

Last night's dinner was an adventure. We discovered a hot pot place
nearby. Though I've eaten Chinese hotpot, I've never actually ordered
it before. I know the names of most basic Chinese dishes, esp in
Shanghai, my favorite cuisine and where I lived for two years. But
outside my range, things get a little difficult - especially given my
insistence on not (knowingly) eating pork.

The other day before Pan Pam (BP), we walked all around the Teng Wang
Pavilion area searching for a restaurant. Finally we find a food
court type place, and finally I searched out what I thought was a
vegetarian option - leek dumplings - having had them many times at
dimpling places in Beijing. Then I had to line up to buy a food card,
line back up to order the dumplings, then wait for them to be boiled.
Then the hard task of finding a table. Nothing on the first floor
(the mild-mannered Davis cannot believe how aggressive one must be in
a crowd here). We scoured the second floor. Nothing there either, so
finally we just grabbed two chairs and sat down to indulge in our
dumplings. With my first bite I realized my mistake. So Davis got
two orders of dumplings.

At the hot pot place I was much more careful. But it took me a while
to figure out the ordering process - you don't just pick your
ingredients, you have to pick your base and your sauce. But we ended
up with something precisely to my liking - fish, bamboo shoots,
cilantro, and fuzhu (a type of dried tofu).

Okay, going to try to sleep a little more before Jr. P wakes up.


P


P.S. No pictures because it's the middle of the night and the last
few pictures didn't seem to go through.

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment